Ruby Rose Underwent Emergency Surgery To Avoid Paralysis From Herniated Discs

September 30, 2019

Herniated discs in your spine are no joke. Actress Ruby Rose suffered two while performing stunts for her upcoming Batwoman series on CW, and they were perilously close to severing her spinal cord. Left in constant pain but no feeling in her arms, Rose underwent emergency surgery to correct the problem. She had the procedure filmed in glorious educational detail and shared it with her followers on Instagram.

This was especially interesting for me to watch since I underwent a similar surgery around three years ago after suffering for two years. I suffered constant pain that left me essentially unable to move once I arrived home from work every day. The pain was so bad that an attempt to stretch out -- as no doctor could tell me what was wrong -- left me screaming on the floor of my house with my husband terrified and unable to help in any way.

Emergency visits for the pain were no help; one visit had me on a cot in the hallway of the ER where no attempt was made to pinpoint the cause of my ailment. I was given several medications to knock me out before being forced to walk around the emergency area where I informed the nurse I was no better only to have her tell me I was wrong.

Another visit landed me in an actual room where no scans were done and the female doctor told me I was probably just having severe menstrual cramps. When I finally went to an orthopedic surgeon and had scans, he informed me that I needed physical therapy. After agonizing visits where I couldn't do the exercises, yelped in pain when receiving acupuncture, and limped my way through every activity, my therapist told me to see another doctor.

This new doctor took scans in his office and already knew the problem when he entered the exam room. I had a bulging and deteriorating disc pushing against the nerves in my spine. The only option was surgery and he had already checked with my insurance and knew that they covered disc replacement surgery. As soon as I woke up from the surgery my pain was gone. (Of course, I had new pain from the incision in my abdomen where the surgeon went in, moved my guts out of the way, and replaced my disc.

So Rose sharing the rapid response from her doctors and the surgery in full is especially interesting to me. I only wish that it didn't take being famous to get proper care and attention to complaints, as well as the ability to pay for something that increases the quality of life by such innumerable amounts.

Not safe for work unless you're a surgeon.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments