Duane Chapman Reveals Life-Threatening Medical Diagnosis

September 29, 2019

Three months after losing his wife, Beth, to cancer, Duane "Dog the Bounty Hunter" Chapman has opened up about his own medical diagnosis.

And it's a very serious one.

In an clip from this Monday’s episode of The Dr. Oz Show -- first posted by People Magazine -- the Dog’s Most Wanted star discusses how he is suffering from a pulmonary embolism in the heart.

The news comes not long after Chapman was hospitalized from what some believed at the time was a heart attack.

"You're a ticking time bomb," Dr. Mehmet Oz tells Dog on his talk show, adding in further detail:

"You're not going to be here with the heart the way it is right now.

"Fear of death is normal. I'm surprised you don't fear death when you're chasing after convicts. But when you run away from doctor, that means you have to do your own doctoring."

Speaking to the aforementioned publication after the diagnosis, Dr. Oz said Chapman was “denying care that he knew would be life saving.”

Pardon him?

For what possible reason?

“[Duane] was fearful,” the television doctor explains.

“Beth had been his north star. She was the one that would go with him and keep him balanced so he could deal with these things. Losing her took away his biggest support.”

Said Chapman in response to his health crisis.

"I said after Beth left, 'I'm not afraid to die.'

"Oh, I was afraid to die. I said, 'Please let go of my heart, honey. Quit squeezing my heart.' So I take that back. I'm not afraid to go. I don't want to."

That's good to hear at least. You gotta keep fighting, Dog.

On the episode, Dr. Oz takes Dog's blood pressure -- and it's very high.

"Hypertension is the biggest ager of all," the doctor says.

"It's like a fire hydrant that's popped off its lid and is squirting water, scraping off that delicate lining of your arteries. Your body's gotta heal that and you're using the bad cholesterol that you have to heal it."

"And that's smoking again, right?" Dog asks.

Yes, Oz confirms.

Chapman is now taking blood thinners to deal with his conditiion, while also making sure to eat a healthy diet; he's also making strides towards kicking his smoking habit.

The latter may be a challenge, but we're thankful to report that the veteran reality star is on a road to recovery.

“Once this goes away, I am 100 percent. I’ve had fears. The blood clot is not a normal thing but it happens a lot, but I’m going to be 100 percent. I’m encouraged by it,” he says.

Earlier this month, Chapman appeared on an episode of Dax Shepard‘s podcast Armchair Expert, where he revealed how he’s been coping since Beth’s death.

"[Beth] used to tease me, ‘You stole me from the cradle at 18 years old.’ I had her until she was 51, and I’d say one word and she knew what it meant," he said on the show, concluding:

"She’d be like, ‘Let me do it, Big Daddy, you’re too aggressive.’ And then she became more aggressive than me. And now all the sudden she’s not there.

"Google says you get smarter when you’re forced to deal with it. Because I still go, ‘What time do you have to be up in the morning, honey?’ I’m setting the alarms. … I’m getting better.

"I depended on her for so much.”

Dog’s Most Wanted airs Wednesdays on WGN America.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments