How Halloween queen Kim Petras is keeping the spooky spirit alive

October 31, 2020

Kim Petras is pop music’s undisputed Halloween queen, having released a slew of songs dedicated to the spooky holiday over the past several years.

First, there was her  “Turn Off the Light Vol. 1” EP in 2018. The full-length “Turn Off the Light” album followed in 2019, and just last week, she added a hauntingly catchy new single to the mix, “Party Till I Die.”

“October is my favorite month of the year. I love Halloween and dressing up,” Petras, 28, told Page Six Style. “Movie villains are always my favorite characters in films. I love monsters, even from the old school like Frankenstein and Freddy [Krueger]. I’m just really obsessed with horror movies, and they inspired ‘Turn Off the Light.'”

Continued the pop star, “I always wondered why there are so many Christmas albums and no Halloween albums. I feel like it’s a very deserving holiday. We kept writing these spooky songs that all felt like they belonged in the same universe, and I thought it would be the coolest thing in the world to make a Halloween album. I’m so happy people love it.”

With its eerie synths and lyrics like, “I’mma end up dead, I’ll still be in Vetements,” “Party Till I Die” is sure to satisfy those thirsty for a ghoulish new end-of-October pop banger.

“I just wanted to give people one song as a lifeline until next year, when ‘Turn Off the Light Vol. 3’ will come,” Petras explained. “I couldn’t give them the whole thing, unfortunately, as I think 2020 is scary enough. And honestly, I didn’t feel very inspired with lockdown and the election being the same time as Halloween. It has been difficult to celebrate anything this year!”

Until it’s safe to party in public again, the “Malibu” singer wants to support NYC’s nightlife scene however she can — which inspired a colorful new video created in partnership with GLAAD and Bubly, set to her song “Close Your Eyes” and starring local drag performers like Pixie Aventura, Lagoona Bloo, Maxxx Pleasure, Rosé, Tina Burner, Zarria Powell and Merrie Cherry.

“I love and miss New York so much. I think New York nightlife and parties are some of the best in the world — they really go for the complete fantasy and I care a lot about the whole New York nightlife community,” Petras said. “I wanted to help the community in any way that I could and be a part of keeping nightlife workers and entertainers inspired, as they bring happiness to so many other people.”

And since hitting the clubs in costume isn’t exactly in the cards right now, Petras plans to host a “much more low-key” Halloween at home with a few friends instead.

“I intend on dressing up, though, and will be doing this one costume that I’ve wanted to do for a while … so let’s see how it goes,” she said.

Over the years, the pop star has channeled everyone from Miss Piggy to Sailor Moon on the holiday — and says she’s loved dressing up since her grade-school years.

“I was really proud of my Dracula costume,” she recalled of one of her earliest outfits. “I had these blood pills that I would bite and then spit out on the playground.”

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments