“I Want What You Want”: In New Interview, Victor Miller Addresses the ‘Friday the 13th’ Legal Issues

February 26, 2019

“The sky’s the limit, as long as we can get out of the courtroom.”

A whole lot has happened in the world of Friday the 13th of late, at least behind the scenes. And let’s face it. Most of us aren’t legal experts, so all the messiness has been quite confusing.

But let’s recap a bit here.

Last year, after he exorcised his legal rights, a judge ruled that writer Victor Miller is the sole owner of the original Friday the 13th screenplay (in the United States only, oddly enough), but the judge declined to make a ruling on who currently owns the character of “adult Jason Voorhees,” who of course didn’t actually appear within the franchise until the second film.

In other words, the rights are split, and the two sides can’t come to any agreements.

Subsequently, Friday the 13th director Sean Cunningham filed a notice of appeal, and then we soon thereafter learned that LeBron James is working on getting his hands into the franchise. Most recently, the withdrawal of Cunningham and Horror Inc’s appeal was filed (for technical reasons, Larry Zerner notes), and at this time, no settlement of any kind has been reached.

Now, in a new chat with YouTube’s IAnthonyD, Miller himself digs into the messy legal issues.

Everybody’s trying to settle all the little things and dot the I’s get the semicolons where they belong and all that kind of stuff. Who gets what. Who has to give what to whom. So, to me, it’s a nightmare,” Miller spoke openly about what’s going on right now. “If you’ve got two sides across the table… this is poker. And you don’t get to say, ‘Well I’ll take half the money and you take half the money.’ That’s not how it works. I can’t be more specific than that.”

He continued, “It has to be done by people who do this for a living. I don’t know how that plays. Eventually, I will have to approve something. I’m just sitting here saying, ‘Hey look. I got the copyright for the first one. Let’s talk.’ And these people have been dining out for thirty years. They don’t want to part with a cent. I would love to be more involved [in future Friday the 13th films]. So who knows. Maybe I will, maybe I won’t. I can’t think of anybody better. I am not dragging my feet.”

All is forgiven,” Miller directly addressed the fans who have sent him hate mail over the false assumption that he’s to blame for the holdup. “I want what you want.”

You can listen to the full interview below.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments