Aubrey Plaza Talks “Smart” Remake of ‘Child’s Play’; “It’s a Real Throwback Horror Movie”

February 27, 2019

Before the Spirit Awards over the weekend, THR sat down for a chat with Aubrey Plaza, who is playing the role of Andy’s mother in Lars Klevberg’s upcoming Child’s Play for MGM and Orion, and the conversation eventually turned to this year’s remake. The actress touched upon the A.I. twist to the original classic, while also teasing a “Spielbergian vibe.”

Buckle up. I love it so much. To me, the original is an iconic movie. I haven’t seen our film, just the trailer, but it’s a real throwback horror movie,” Plaza told the site. “It’s almost got a Spielbergian vibe to it. The reason I did it was for how beautiful the script was. It doesn’t feel like a hokey, shticky, campy movie. If you remember the original Child’s Play, it was a drama! It wasn’t that funny. As the franchise went on, it became something else. The remake really captures the original.”

She continued, “I would only do certain remakes. This is smart. The messaging behind the film is different. Technology becomes the villain.”

I play Karen, the mother, and I have less interaction with Chucky than the actor who plays my son does. I can’t reveal too much. We’re not supposed to talk about Chucky. It builds for Karen in a way that I’m interacting with Chucky by the end, but I’m mostly dealing with my son — who I almost believe is behind the mayhem. The horror of it all will be for the audience. For me, it’s more of a psychological thriller.”

In Klevberg’s modern take on the horror classic, a mother (Aubrey Plaza) gives her son (Gabriel Bateman) a Buddi dolls for his birthday, unaware of its more sinister nature.

Child’s Play slashes its way to theaters on June 21, 2019.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments