Tony Todd Gracefully Offers His Blessings to the New ‘Candyman’

February 28, 2019

When it was first announced that Jordan Peele was producing a “spiritual sequel” to Candyman, set to be directed by Nia DaCosta, fans (myself included) immediately took to social media with one big question: if it’s a “spiritual sequel” to the original classic, will Tony Todd be returning to play the title role? This week, that big question was finally answered.

No, Tony Todd will not be playing Candyman in DaCosta’s film, as the role has been recast. Aquaman star Yahya Abdul-Mateen II will play the hook-handed icon in next year’s film.

How does Tony Todd himself feel about this? Taking to Twitter last night, the legendary horror icon reacted to the news with grace, professionalism and, as always, total class:

Todd had told EW last month, “I’m hoping I will appear in the film in some form of fashion. Wouldn’t that make sense? But it’s Hollywood, so I won’t take it personally if for some reason it doesn’t work out.” He added, “If this new one is successful, it will shed light back on the original. I think the subject matter is more important than any individuals. And I mean that.

And he told us last month, “I know that it’s in good hands with Jordan Peele. I love his new trailer for Us and I know he loves the character and he respects the legacy. No matter what my personal involvement is, the fact that it’s getting done again will just bring new attention to the original source material. So it’s a win-win for everybody and a win-win for horror fans.”

MGM will bring Candyman back to life on June 12, 2020.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments