Anderson Cooper announces birth of son Wyatt live on CNN

April 30, 2020


Anderson Cooper is a dad.

The longtime CNN host announced the birth of baby son Wyatt Morgan Cooper via surrogate on Thursday night as he posted a photo on Instagram: “As a gay kid, I never thought it would be possible to have a child, and I’m grateful for all those who have paved the way, and for the doctors and nurses and everyone involved in my son’s birth.”

He added: “He is sweet, and soft, and healthy and I am beyond happy.”

Cooper, 52, told viewers about his son at the end of Thursday’s televised weekly global town hall on the coronavirus pandemic.

“It has been a difficult time in all of our lives, and there are certainly many hard days ahead,” Cooper said. “It is, I think, especially important in times of trouble to hold on to moments of joy and happiness. Even as we mourn the loss of loved ones, we are also blessed with new life. New love.”

He then told viewers: “On Monday, I became a father. I’ve never actually said that before, and it still kind of astonishes me. I am a dad. I have a son.”

He said he is “eternally grateful to a remarkable surrogate who carried Wyatt, watched over him lovingly, tenderly, and gave birth to him.”

Continuing his story on Instagram, Cooper added: “It is an extraordinary blessing – what she, and all surrogates give to families who can’t have children. My surrogate has a beautiful family of her own, a wonderfully supportive husband, and kids, and I am incredibly thankful for all the support they have given Wyatt and me. My family is blessed to have this family in our lives.”

The newborn is named after Cooper’s father who died when he was 10. “I hope I can be as good a dad as he was,” he said.

His son’s middle name, Morgan, is a name from the family tree of his mother Gloria Vanderbilt, who died last year.

“I do wish my mom and dad and my brother, Carter were alive to meet Wyatt,” Cooper said, “but I like to believe they can see him. I imagine them all together, arms around each other, smiling and laughing … happy to know that their love is alive in me and in Wyatt … and that our family continues. New life. New love.”

Cooper’s best friend Andy Cohen also has a baby son Ben via surrogate and Cooper, who is currently single, has said: “He’s the greatest kid, and it’s such a joy to see him every day.”

Cooper’s BFF Cohen quickly posted a photo of Wyatt on Instagram, writing: “‘New life, new hope’. Wyatt Cooper, you couldn’t have come at a better time. I know a friend who can’t wait to meet you!.”

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments